Diploma In Data Science & Analytics
The Diploma in Data Science and Analytics is a 2-year programme offered at the Department of Computer Science under the Faculty of Computing and Information Systems (FoCIS). Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates shall be awarded Diploma Data Science and Analytics.
Aims of the Programme
The programme aims to produce Data Science professionals who are innovative, ethical, entrepreneurial graduates that use tools and techniques that are based on Data Science and Analytics knowledge to develop relevant applications and systems that impart society.
Objectives of the Programme
The programme is designed to equip graduates with the knowledge and tools to be able to:
- Identify problems, analyse requirements, formulate designs and implements solutions to automate manual processes using computer science knowledge, techniques and tools;
- Evaluate the appropriateness of statistical analyses, results, and inferences in order to understand research and interpret data in applied settings;
- Build a strong foundation in algorithmic thinking and data analytics required for further studies and research in Data Science;
- Apply relevant mathematical and engineering methods to solving computing problems;
- Demonstrate the ability to use computer programming skills for problem solving;
- Apply moral, legal and computer ethics that govern data science and analytics, their associated programmes and tools;
- Apply software engineering methods and tools for developing quality software solutions;
- Develop appropriate tools to help with the management and coordination of activities in enterprises.
Credit passes (A-D) in three (3) core subjects, English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to credit passes(A-D) in any three(3) elective subjects including Elective Mathematics.
Passes (A1-D7) in three (3) core subjects, English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to passes (A1-D7) in any three (3) elective subjects including Elective Mathematics. Note that at least three (3) of the core or elective subject should be credit passes (A1-C6).
Holders must have at least three (3) credits (A-D) in GBCE core subjects: English Language, Business Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to at least credits (A-D) in two (2) ABCE subjects such as Information Technology, Hardware and Networking and Information Systems or System Analysis and Design.
‘O’/A ‘Level Applicants
- Holders must have five (5) credits at ‘O’ Level including English, Additional Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry plus THREE (3) ‘A’ Level passes in Additional Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry;
- They must also have a pass in General Paper.
- Applicants must be at least 25 years of age and has at least three (3) years’ work experience in an I.T related job;
- Applicants must pass a written entrance examination;
- In addition, mature applicants must possess any acceptable documentary evidence such as Birth Certificates, Driving License, Voters’ ID card or National ID card that are at least five (5) years old after date of issue or by the date of seeking to enroll or date of gaining admission.
Applicants must hold HND or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related fields with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from accredited Tertiary Institution;
2-Year Tertiary Diploma Applicants
Applicants with 2-year tertiary diploma or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least an FCGPA of 1.50-1.99(Pass) or 1.00-2.49(Pass) from accredited Tertiary Institution can apply.
All foreign qualifications in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or relevant fields will be referred to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission.
Successful graduates will gain the requisite skills for employment in public, private organizations and institutions or be equipped for self-employment as:
- Computer programmers,
- Computer Analysts,
- System Analysts,
- Business Intelligence Analyst,
- Machine Learning engineer,
- Data Analyst,
- Data Architect and
- Data Engineer.