BSc. Software Engineering
The BSc. Software Engineering is a 4-year programme that offers applicants the opportunity to graduate with a BSc. Software Engineering upon successful completion. Applicants with academic diploma or HND or equivalencies in Computer Science or related fields from accredited tertiary institutions are eligible for admission for a top up. The programme is offered at the Department of Computer Science under the Faculty of Computing and Information Systems (FoCIS).
Aims of the Programme
The programme seeks to prepare graduates for professional careers and graduate studies with a balance between computing theory and practical application of software engineering concepts, methodologies, tools and technologies in modern software development: thus equip graduates of the programme with broad and in-depth software engineering skills and expertise to them to be able to develop or facilitate or/ and participate in the developments of reliable, efficient and quality software. The curriculum is thus designed to ensure breadth across allied disciplines and supporting subjects; and depth in most areas of the software engineering body of knowledge.
Objectives of the Programme
The objective of the programme is to equip successful graduates with knowledge and tools to be able to:
- Identify problems, analyse requirements, formulate designs and implements solutions to automate manual processes using software engineering knowledge, techniques and tools;
- Apply relevant mathematical and engineering methods to solving computing problems;
- Demonstrate the ability to use computer programming skills for problem solving;
- Recognise ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- Undertake research and further studies in the software engineering domain.
Holders of WASSCE must have at least credits (A1-C6) in three (3) core subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science plus at least credits (A1-C6) in elective Mathematics in addition any other two (2) electives.
Holders of WASSCE must have at least credits (A-D) in three (3) core subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science plus at least credits (A-D) in elective Mathematics in addition any other two (2) electives.
Holders must have at least three (3) credits (A-D) in GBCE core subjects: English Language, Business Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to at least credits (A-D) in three (3) ABCE subjects such as Information Technology, Hardware and Networking and Information Systems or System Analysis and Design.
‘O’/A ‘Level Applicants:
- Holders must have five (5) credits at ‘O’ Level including English, Additional Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry plus THREE (3) ‘A’ Level passes in Additional Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
- They must also have a pass in General Paper.
- Applicants must be at least 25 years of age
- Applicants must pass a written examination
In addition, mature applicants must possess any acceptable documentary evidence such as Birth Certificates, Driving License, Voters’ ID card or National ID card which are at least five (5) years old after date of issue or by the date of seeking to enroll or date of gaining admission.
- Applicants must hold HND certificate or equivalent in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from a recognised Tertiary Institution;
- Applicants with HND in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Cyber Security or related fields shall be admitted into level 300 whilst applicants with HND in Mechanical Engineering or HND in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related fields shall be admitted into level 200.
2-Year Tertiary Diploma Applicants:
- Applicants who hold a 2-year tertiary diploma or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical, Electronic Engineering, Cyber Security or related fields with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from accredited Tertiary Institution shall be admitted into level 300;
- Applicants who hold a 2-year tertiary diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or related fields with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from accredited Tertiary Institution shall be admitted into level 200.
Technical Schools Applicants:
- Credits in three subjects: Mathematics, English language and Integrated Science plus credits in Elective Mathematics and credits in any two electives.
All foreign qualifications in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or relevant fields will be referred to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission.
All holders of ICGCE will be referred to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission.
Successful graduates will gain the requisite skills for employment in public, private organizations and institutions or be equipped for self-employment as:
- Computer programmers
- Computer Analysts
- System Analysts
- Computer System Architects
- Software Integration engineers