The BSc. Computer Science is a 4-year programme that offers applicants the opportunity to graduate with a BSc. Computer Science upon successful completion. Applicants with academic diploma or HND or equivalencies in Computer Science or related fields from accredited tertiary institutions are eligible for admission for a top up. The programme is offered at the Department of Computer Science under the Faculty of Computing and Information Systems (FoCIS).
Aims of the Programme
The programme seeks to produce computer science professionals who are innovative, ethical, entrepreneurial graduates that use tools and techniques that are based on computer science knowledge to develop relevant applications and systems that impart society.
Objectives of the Programme
The programme is designed to equip successful graduates to be able to:
- Identify problems, analyse requirements, formulate designs and implements solutions to automate manual processes using computer science knowledge, techniques, and tools.
- Apply relevant mathematical and engineering methods to solving computing problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to use computer programming skills for problem solving.
- Apply software engineering methods and tools for developing quality software solutions.
- Develop appropriate tools to help with the management and coordination of activities in enterprises.
- Pursue further studies in computer science or related programme.
Holders of WASSCE must have at least credits (A1-C6) in three (3) core subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science) plus at least credits (A1-C6) in elective Mathematics in addition any other two (2) electives.
Holders of WASSCE must have at least credits (A-D) in three (3) core subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science) plus at least credits (A-D) in elective Mathematics in addition any other two (2) electives.
Holders must have at least three (3) credits (A-D) in GBCE core subjects: English Language, Business Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to at least credits (A-D) in three (3) ABCE subjects such as Information Technology, Hardware and Networking and Information Systems or System Analysis and Design.
‘O’/A ‘Level Applicants:
- Holders must have five (5)credits at ‘O’ Level including English, Additional Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry plus THREE (3) ‘A’ Level passes in Additional Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry;
- They must also have a pass in General Paper.
- Applicants must be at least 25 years of age
- Applicants must pass a written examination;
- In addition, mature applicants must possess any acceptable documentary evidence such as Birth Certificates, Driving License, Voters’ ID card or National ID card which are at least five (5) years old after date of issue or by the date of seeking to enroll or date of gaining admission.
- Applicants must hold HND or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from accredited Tertiary Institution.
- In addition, applicants must have at least two (2) years post-HND qualification working experience;
- Applicants with HND in Computer Science shall be admitted into level 300 whilst applicants with HND in Mechanical Engineering or HND in Electrical/Electronic Engineering shall be admitted into level 200.
2-Year Tertiary Diploma Applicants:
Applicants with 2-year tertiary diploma or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least 2nd Class Lower Division from accredited Tertiary Institution shall be admitted into level 200.
All foreign qualifications in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering or relevant fields will be referred to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission.
Successfull graduates will gain requisite skills for employment into public, private organisation and institutions. Specific examples of career prospects include, but are not limited to:
- Computer programmers
- Computer Analysts
- System Analysts
- Management Information Specialists
- IT Analyst
- Software Developer
- Network Engineer
- System Engineer
- Game Designer
- Application Analyst
- Application Developer
- Data Analyst